Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Dixie


Dixie working on an airplane, during WWII
picture source

Teasing photographer, and former silent film star, Harold Lloyd. Lloyd also photographed the real Monroe & Bettie Page!

Photos of young Dixie I found randomly on google. Mostly tumblr...

The Marilyn Monroe of Burlesque, Dixie Evans, died this month on August 3rd. I found out a week ago. She was 86 years old. 
I had the pleasure of meeting her in 2004/2005 while I was a student at CalArts. Her ranch in Helendale, CA was one of the first stops during an epic road trip that would lead my classmates and I to The Spiral Jetty. I will never forget Andrew Freeman's "Into the Field". Those excursions into vast desert lands were pure magic. Youthful, fiery magic. 


I shot this image of her in 2005.  I titled it, To Dixie, with luv, xx Ava. Soon after, she would leave her ranch home and head out to Vegas.  Her Miss Exotic World Ranch was a time capsule in the desert sun. 

Rest in Peace

 More about her passing here.



your friend,


ava


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava