Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Life is a Cabaret

Anyone who knows me, knows that I enjoy dressing up.  I take pride in putting together the perfect outfit, so imagine how excited I must feel that Halloween is fast approaching?  This time of year has always been a joy for me.  That chance to be someone else for a night.  Times have been tough this year with having to move back under my mother's roof, to my recent car accident.  I'm definitely on a tight budget, & probably not the only one, considering our country's economic status.   

It's funny that I chose to be Sally Bowles this year because behind her decadent facade, are her struggles to make it & that vulnerability that ever so slightly rises to the surface.  I have to quote my mother here in reference to my father; "..he may be poor, but he looks like a million bucks."  That is something that has been passed down to me, which gives me great pride.  It's all about utilizing what is already around you.  Luckily, being Liza won't be too tough.  I already have the short hair &  have managed to accumulate a sweet collection of unmentionables over the years (blush).  The icing on the cake is this nail polish I bought a while back at Sephora.  When I saw it, I immediately thought Cabaret.  It's almost the exact wild, dark teal blue polish she had in the film.  That same amazing color I have seen in Kenneth Anger's Puce Moment.  If you look closely, the starlet  has her toe nails painted that blue/green.  I'm not sure if they even had colors like that back in the 30s & 40s.  It seems so progressive. By the way, if you haven't seen Cabaret, I suggest you Netflix it immediately.  Liza Minnelli is perfection, not to mention Fosse!





Have a rad & safe Halloween everybody!

your friend,

ava



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava