Thursday, January 31, 2013

Was She Pretty?


This is the cover of Leanne Shapton's Was She Pretty?  A book about current loves and curiosities about their ex lovers.  I could not stop turning the pages.  Each one spoke about the insecurities, jealousy, and the wonder that enters a new relationship and those thoughts about your partner's exes.  Why didn't it work out? Comparing oneself to the former lover, and in a way, admiring them at the same time.  Would we be friends?  We clearly have the same taste in men/women.

It also touches upon connections and that cycle that happens when you find love, lose love, and then find love all over again.  Sometimes it lasts for a long time, and sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes it's all about timing.

I stumbled upon Leanne's book through my new favorite site, BOOK STAND.  If you love books, especially artist made with a personal touch, handmade zines, beautiful/dreamy picture books to fill your shelves....then this is the perfect little site to fulfill your internet library fantasy come true!  The lovely Claire Cottrell founded BOOK STAND and she'll be at the LA ART BOOK FAIR tomorrow evening!  Here is an interview with Claire that I found on the Madewell blog. 

All work above © Leanne Shapton

It's very cathartic to skim the pages now on the eve of my breakup.  Life is full of bittersweet experiences, and I have to thank my former boyfriend for introducing me to the blog world.  Without him, I wouldn't be writing about my dreams and interests.  The funny thing about relationships is that they stay with you.  All the amazing times, the bad, the awkward, the disappointments/sorrows, and all the love and loss.  It is part of our every day lives and sometimes we grow and sometimes we don't, but it's all about the experience. 






your friend,


ava



2 comments:

  1. I haven't looked through Leanne Shapton's Was She Pretty? but I do like her illustrations and her books. Thanks for sharing this, Ava!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Book Stand, Thanks for sharing this book!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava