Monday, February 11, 2013

Annie Hall

In my last entry, I wrote a bit about relationships.  One of my favorite films about relationships..... truly, one of my favorite films, period, is Woody Allen's Annie Hall.  I was happy to be introduced to Allen's comedic brilliance my senior year of high school.  It was in Mr. Zameroski's "film as literature" class.  It was the best class ever.  We watched films, and wrote a page about them.  I was exposed to some of the great classics:  East of Eden, On the Waterfront, Badlands, Run Lola Run, Raging Bull, Annie Hall, Cinema Paradiso, and many others.  We weren't aloud to watch Taxi Driver in class, but Mr. Z recommended that we watch it on our own time!  He was the coolest!!

After Annie Hall, I fell in love with Woody Allen and had to see all his films.  My mother is a New Yorker, and so I think his films spoke naturally to me because of this.  For my mother, his films ring true in a lot of ways. The style, the neurosis, and the mannerisms/expressions.... Manhattan, Hannah & Her Sisters, Love & Death, Sleeper....they are all wonderful, but I always go back to Annie Hall.  I strongly believe that it is his masterpiece.  Diane Keaton was perfect, and he wasn't tainted yet, by that scandal.  Pshhhh..... yeah, you know, it's pretty unforgettable...wikipedia it, if you dare!   

Annie Hall was him at his best.  His golden moment in time.  I am happy to announce that I finally get to see it on the big screen!  Tomorrow, the 11th, it's playing at the silent movie theater on Fairfax.  You can purchase tickets here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava