Friday, July 1, 2011

Vivian Girls

Copyright Ava Alamshah 2011



I had no idea about Henry Darger until Jeaux pointed out one of those ridiculously expensive coffee table books showcasing his abundant paintings. We were at that Skylight Books continuation next door & among the sea of books, zines, and knick knacks, there was the Darger book staring right at me. The cover alone was so beautiful and when I opened the book, I was confused as to why this guy drew little girls with penises. It wasn't until I saw "In the Realms of the Unreal" that I found out about this man, who was basically a loner all his life. His innocence startled me & I believe that was the only way someone could paint the way he did. There is no irony in his work. Its just pure, from the heart and it became his world. I envy that sort of creative freedom.  I'm currently thinking about my next tattoo, which would be Darger inspired. It would help if I had this.   

Here's a little something from a band named after those loveable little ladies.



your friend,


ava

10 comments:

  1. Great post BB! I <3 it! Henry D is the coolest! Also, the Viv girls song is sweet too! Make moar postsszzts!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to rewatch the documentary! I love Henry Darger so much and the Vivian Girls. Thanks for this most inspirational post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jeaux! Can't get enough of both Henry D & that song. That song is like two years old now, but I never get tired of it. Makes me want to keep practicing the bass! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. SG, LOVE that documentary! Isn't it great?! Some people might not like how they animated his paintings, but I think it's so whimsical and really brings you into his world. We should have a "Realms of the Unreal" night where we watch the doc & then paint something. :)

    Glad I could inspire! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you discovered Darger! I learned about him nearly 25 years ago from a photographer who was in the salon group I joined. He had a preoccupation with prepubescent girls and mentioned Darger's artwork. He tried to photograph girls in Darger image poses. Bizarre. I want to see this documentary. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely see it Robbie! It's a beautiful documentary. The guy you knew 25 years ago sounds like he was a bit on the creepy side huh? That IS really bizarre. Did you ever see any of his photographs?!

    Love you!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing, right! ..couldn't figure out why I only found out about him after luckily stumbling on that documentary?! Jealous for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know right?! Its frustrating sometimes, Roger, cause I feel like when I create, I over think too much. I have a feeling Henry wasn't over thinking at all. It would be a test to try to read his autobiography or "Realms" novel. Have they ever been published?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Henry Darger was a fascinating man and it is too bad he was only discovered after his death. I went to a screening of the film with the woman who made it and it was super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's rad, Natalie! Did you get to meet the filmmaker? It's so lovely to see more women making films. It was such a touching documentary and it is sad that he was only discovered after his death, but I also believe that was part of his legacy. It almost makes his work more appealing, the mystery behind it all.

    xx

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava