Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Burbank (Part One)


This photo was taken a few weeks back in Burbank.  I thought this wall looked really 70s and fit very well with what Jeaux calls, my "Big Lebowski" sweater.  I love the way the lines flow in contrast with the patterns.  Some parts of Burbank are like stepping back in time, and I really recommend a visit.  Lots of mom and pops are still in business, like Tony's Bella Vista Ristorante, which hasn't changed one bit.  I was born in Glendale, and I remember going to this little Italian eatery with my parents. I couldn't have been more than 3 or 4 years old at the time. I remember a lot of red, and last year I took Jeaux there to see it again.  The decor was just like I remembered, except smaller because I've grown, but the red leather booths are still there, as well as the little white xmas lights, and pizza! There are some really cool shops and restaurants on Magnolia Blvd. that I have yet to explore further.  There is a gluten free market, lots of little antique and vintage shops, small coffee houses....

Another great treat...Portos!  It was my first time checking out the one on Magnolia, though I've been to the Brand location many times.  When my mom use to work in Glendale, she'd come home with a box in hand filled with potato balls, stuffed with ground beef and those amazing meat pies..a savory and sweet experience. Jeaux wasn't feeling the lines, but believe me, it is SO worth the wait.

My friend, Robbie, was having a book signing at Dark Delicacies that day.  She is a dear friend and my former high school art teacher, and an all around beautiful person. Funny enough, I've never read any of her fiction, but I cherish the life stories she tells me whenever we have some quality time together. I always tell her that she should write a memoir because her stories are so full of character and so, so interesting.  We have shared funny tales of dating horrors, dealing with unrequited love, falling in love, travel, misfortunes, successes....life, and she has lived an adventurous life thus far.  It was great to see her at this signing, which was for the anthology,  Dark Passions XIII.  I'm going to have to read it one of these awesomely gloomy days, but probably only her chapter (because I love her).  I'll do this covered in blankets, while sipping on some warm almond milk.  My friend, Ema, turned me on to warm almond milk cooked with a bit of honey, cinnamon, and nutmeg, sprinkled with a bit of fresh ginger for a kick.  I'm hoping it gets chillier, otherwise it won't be as much fun. I'm tired of pretending that I live in a place with four seasons. It's time to accept that LA is so unpredictable, though the wannabe goth in me wishes for more rain.  Here's to good friends...a rarity, and when you find them, hold on to them!  


More images and stories about that day in Burbank very soon!   .Virtual hugs.




your friend,




ava





No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava