Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Art of Pretending

  I've been thinking about transformation a lot.  Transforming into an entirely different person, maybe. For instance, what would it be like to be someone else, have someone else's life?  Or better yet, how can one achieve the best "self" they can be?  I take inspiration in a lot of images I find, and have been drawn to old glamour and style.  Growing up watching I Love Lucy, I loved when she would put on costumes as a part of her many schemes to get into show business. I also watched a lot of Hitchcock films in my teens.  I love the idea of transformation.  Transforming from a girl, into a woman.  A worm into a butterfly or moth.  Having a crush, and then falling in love.  Transformation. Changes. 

  I'm working on the idea of an art project where I transform into one of my favorite musicians (more on that later).  Cindy Sherman film stills come to mind, as do these images by Richard Avedon.  Back in 1957 he took portraits of this beautiful woman, portraying various sex symbols in Hollywood history.   Can you guess who??



Jean Harlow

Theda Bara

Clara Bow

Lilian Russell

Marlene Dietrich

  
 Here is a little web article I found about the project with Avedon.  

 Speaking of pretending, I'll be at Comicon, San Diego all day this Sunday.  It will be my first time, and I am going as....wait for it......myself!  Stay tuned for photos from that weekend.  It's going to be scary/crazy/fun?  We will see. 


your friend,

ava



2 comments:

  1. Your art project idea sounds so cool. Have a great time at Comicon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angie!

      Can't wait to tell you about it when I get back!

      Delete

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava