Saturday, July 7, 2012

The Freaks Come Out At Night

  Last night I had the pleasure of attending Freak Scene at Synchronicity Space.   If you love underground comix, I suggest checking it out.  It will be up until August 4th. 

  Down below are some post cards I collected at the show.  Drippy Bone Books is amazing.  They had merchandise up the wazoo.  Tote bags (I bought one), t-shirts, beer jackets (yep), and a zine produced specifically for the show (got that, too).  The tote bags and the Freak Zine post card is designed by Benjamin Marra.  You can get a better look at his print on the Sync Space website.  He also painted this huge image on the back wall, and you can see it as you walk into the gallery.  Johnny Ryan is also featured in the show, but not in the zine (bummer).  Jeaux had shown me some of his work, and I'm not sure the exact time I was introduced to Ryan's crude drawings.  It might have been in San Francisco, around 2007.  I remember hanging out with Rio, he had just bought this comic, and we sat down to read it in this tiny cafe, across from the Castro theater.   All the pages were about some dog having sex with this guy and squirting cum all over the guys face, with references to the KKK as Ku Klux Kummers, and it was the most fowl thing, which made it hysterical, and I couldn't stop laughing (that kind of laughter where it's side splitting).  The barista asked us what we were reading because our laughter was INSANE.  I think she wanted to be a part of it, but Rio was too embarrassed (or ashamed) to show her how perverse we were.  I mean, how sick, right?  This might be THE ONE after a google search for ku klux kum.  I almost ran into real Ku Klux Klan sites by searching this way!  YUCK.



   

   I also got to meet Tom Neely, who I'm not too familiar with yet, but I picked up the graphic novel created with his gang, Igloo Tornado, "Henry & Glenn Forever", which was begging me to purchase it.  I mean, how perfect.......Danzig and Rollins in a passionate romance?!!   Neely mentioned that it was like peanut butter and chocolate.  Pretty much sums it up.  I feel like I have seen his work before, and I probably have, but cannot remember when or where.  It's vague. 

  Signed above with a hybrid Danzig/Black Flag skull. YES.  Tom also likes my Nara tattoo.  He's pretty rad.
 

  This photo needs no explanation.  It's just excellent. 


  If you head out to Sync Space tonight, there will be live readings starting at 8pm!  Live readings, music, and the contributors will be signing their comix afterwards!  Wish I could go, but I work late tonight. Pour one out for me.


your friend,

ava


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Thanks for taking the time to leave one, or two, or three. :)

your friend,

ava